Hallmark Channel’s super-fun lifestyle, cooking and crafting show, Home & Family, has recently become one of my favorites. I turn it on every morning as a means of avoiding the real world. Instead of being bogged down with the negative news presented by most morning shows, I’m inspired to craft and cook (two of my favorite things)! I also adore their focus on rescuing animals from shelters. Home & Family is an all-around mood booster. On a recent episode, Chef Stuart O’Keeffe shared his recipe for St. Patrick’s Day MUSHROOM AND BEEF POTATO CAKES https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family/recipes/mushroom-and-beef-potato-cakes
O’Keeffe’s creation inspired me to create a vegan, reduced-calorie version of the recipe with a kitschy shamrock twist. Enjoy!
- Two Beyond Burger Patties, crumbled
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup plain cashew yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until softened.
- While potatoes are boiling, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat before adding garlic, shallot and mushrooms. Sauté until fragrant (about four minutes). Add crumbled Beyond Burger meat and sauté all ingredients until browned and slightly crispy. Season to taste. Turn heat to low and set aside.
- Drain potatoes before adding butter and yogurt before whipping potatoes. Season to taste.
- Split potatoes in half and spoon into rounded mounds onto plates. Now is the time to shape the potatoes into a shamrock (or other design), if desired.
- Use a ladle to create a hole in the middle of the potato mound.
- Spoon meat mixture into the hole in the potatoes and serve.
Recipe serves two at just 547 calories per serving